Monday, March 9, 2009

Pirate Ship Cake


Top View

This is my first attempt at making a Pirate Ship Cake. I found several different shapes for this cake on the internet, but this was the one my customer wanted.


Side View
The is a Chocolate Truffle Cake with Chocolate Truffle Filling and Chocolate Buttercream Frosting. 40 - 50 servings, depending on size of each serving.


Back View
I tinted approximately 42 ounces of fondant dark brown. I covered the whole cake with the fondant, then did the add-ons. I then lightly scored the fondant to give it a "wood" look.

Front View
The sails are also made of fondant. I made them four or five days ahead so they would have time to dry and hold their shape. The masts are dowel rods lightly stained with Wilton icing color. The masts and the "pirates' are the only non-edible parts.
I covered the cake board with blue plastic then contact paper to simulate waves. I then tucked some of the plastic under the cake edges to make 3-D waves.
This was actually a really fun cake to make! If you have any questions, just leave a comment and I'll get back to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment