Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sugar Cookie Recipe

Here's the recipe I used for the decorated cookies on this blog.

Sugar Cookies

2 C butter (not margarine or spread)
2 C sugar
2 eggs
3 teaspoons vanilla extract ( you could use almond extract as well)
6 C flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoons salt

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and extract and mix together.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture until combined.

Refrigerate dough for 1 - 2 hours. *

When you're ready to roll out the dough, lightly sprinkle your work surface with flower and roll out.

Bake at 350 for 8 - 12 minutes. I do mine for 8 or 9 minutes because I like them soft. For a crisper cookie, roll the dough thinner and bake a little longer. Just play with it until you find what you like.

Remove onto cooling racks. Let them cool completely before decorating.

* If I'm in a hurry, I will chill the dough for just a few minutes, then roll out. I then put the cookies on my baking sheets and put them in the frig to chill before baking. You can also shape the dough into two disks between wax paper and chill. It won't take near as long. But your dough needs to be chilled or your cookies won't hold their shape very well.

I use this recipe to make 34 - 38 large cookies or 44 - 48 medium cookies.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment